How to Renew Car Registration in UAE?
When you buy a new car, its registration is provided by the dealer and is valid for one year only. However, from the second year, you have to renew the registration by yourself. There are many locations in UAE where you can renew your car’s registration. If you have difficulty in reaching the physical location, the renewal can be accomplished online, but it should be renewed before its expiry date. If the renewal is not done before the expiry date, you will have to pay the penalty.
What is RTA?
RTA stands for Roads and Transport Authority. The authority is entrusted with the registration of the vehicle and renewal of registration. You can visit one of its offices to register or renew your car’s registration. To save your time and effort, you can use its online facility as well.
Vehicle owners are responsible to pay fines and renewal of the registration of the vehicle. If you fail to perform any of these tasks, you will not be allowed to ride the vehicle as per the law.
The registration can be done online or offline irrespective of the origin of documents or origin of the vehicle. If you had registered the car in one emirate before, it can be renewed in a different emirate without any issue.
The car registration can be done in two ways:
- Visiting the registration center
- Online option
Visiting the Registration Center
If you visit the nearest registration center, the car registration will be renewed. You can visit the RTA registration center or authorized agents.
The following steps should be performed to renew your vehicle’s registration:
- If there are any fines, you should settle those fines first.
- The fines are available on the official website.
- Get your car tested at the Traffic Department (Dubai/Emirates) or at any authorized agency.
- The required fee should be paid.
- Get the tag to be pasted over the old registration sticker.
Your registration is completed and it is valid for one year.
You can renew car Insurance online so that you can save time, effort and money. RTA facilitates online registration facility which is convenient for customers.
As soon as the renewal of the policy is done online, you will be able to take a printout of the electronic receipt. It will serve the purpose of the temporary registration card.
The registration card will be sent to the registered address after the renewal process is completed on the website.
Step by Step Procedure:
Before renewing your vehicle registration, you are advised to renew your car insurance policy as well. You should also pay all the traffic fines (if any) before resorting to the vehicle renewal.
If you do not possess a valid insurance certificate, you will not be able to renew your registration. If the renewal was not done on time, it will reflect in the RTA system and it is not possible to initiate the online vehicle renewal process.
In some cases, the vehicle should be tested at one of the authorized centers of RTA.
The online renewal facility is available for UAE nationals, GCC nationals, and residency in UAE.
You can also renew the policy online by visiting the Abu Dhabi Police e-services Portal.
The vehicle renewal will be accomplished in 5 simple steps.
- Search - You should search for the vehicle by entering the appropriate details in the fields. As you click on the ‘search’ button, you can find your vehicle’s information. You should also verify whether the details are correct.
- Change the Plate Design – You can choose to keep the plate design as is or it can be changed as well. You have to pay an additional fee to change the plate number or the design of the plate.
- Choose a Delivery Method – You should choose the delivery method. The registration card will be dispatched to your residential address or it can be collected at a designated card collection center (RTA office or kiosk). If you opt for collection, the card should be collected within the timeframe chosen by you. If the card is delivered by courier, the courier partner will make three attempts. If you fail to collect in three attempts, you should collect the card at the RTA office. Usually, the card will be dispatched in 7 to 10 days after the online confirmation.
- Confirmation of Details – You should cross check the details and confirm the same before proceeding to pay the amount.
- Payment – The service fee will be charged by RTA as per the make and model of the vehicle. The payment can be done by using your debit card or other online payment options as per your convenience.
- After successful payment, you will get a confirmation message that you had successfully renewed the registration. You will get a receipt by email. You can also take a printout as a proof of registration until you receive the card by courier.
The online application will be processed within 5 working days. You should abide by the terms and conditions of the RTA before initiating the online renewal of the vehicle.
Renewal with the Help of Third-Party
The car renewal can be accomplished with the help of the third party as well.
Personal Appearance Service – RTA offers ‘Personal Appearance Service’ by which the renewal of vehicle registration can be done by the third party.
For the same, you have to visit the ‘customer service center’ to obtain the PIN.
Any person who has this PIN is able to accomplish the registration on your behalf.
If there are multiple cars in your name, then also you can utilize the renewal option with the help of a third party.
The renew car insurance online service is great savings in terms of time, effort, and money. Even though you can use the offline method as well, but online service is a hassle-free process!