Secure your car at lowest premium
Secure your car at lowest premium
Buy Car Insurance in 30 Seconds !
If you are planning to buy a used car or sell your second-hand car and don’t know the process to transfer car ownership, then here’s a useful guide which can help you transfer your car registration seamlessly.
In fact, even your car insurance provider will ask for your car registration certificate. So make sure that you have sorted the following –
1. Clear All Your Salik and Traffic Fines - Did you know that any pending fines can hinder your car registration transfer procedure? There shouldn’t be any fines associated with your car plate number. This is why you must clear all the unpaid dues before even planning to sell your car.
So, if you haven’t done it yet, get them cleared at any police station nearby. Also, you can easily clear your fines online.
2. Bank Clearance Documents - If the previous owner took a car loan then it should be cleared by him. On the other hand, he can ask for a release letter or, a no-objection certificate (NOC) from the bank to transfer the loan to the buyer. So, no matter if you are a buyer or a seller, check if you require NOC from the bank.
3. Have the Car Tested - You will get a pass report once your car is tested at the registration center. It is not a time-consuming process and it costs less than 150 Dirhams in Dubai. Also, remove and hand over the number plate of your car at the registration counter.
4. Documentation and Paper Works - To avoid yourself running from one registration center to another, ensure that you have all the required documents with you.
Documents Required for the Transfer of Car Ownership -
Identification Documents - Enrolment ID, Driving License and passport copy of both the seller and the buyer
New car insurance contract in the name of the purchaser
Car’s Registration Card
5. New Registration - Once the registration is done, the buyer will get the new number plate and new registration card for the car. Usually, the cost of registration is lesser than 400 Dirhams in Dubai.
Sometimes, the procedure may vary. As you already know, there are two traffic systems that are followed in our country- the Federal system and the Independent system.
The Federal system is followed by all the emirates in the UAE, whereas in Dubai, the independent system is followed.
If you need to transfer the registration of your car from one Emirate to another, first, the car will have to be unregistered from one emirate and marked as ‘for export’ to another emirate in the UAE.
You can then get the car registered in your name and in the emirate where you are at present.
Make sure that you buy an adequate car insurance policy for your new vehicle. You can check out motor insurance plans from popular car insurance companies listed on our site.
If you are transporting the car from Dubai to another emirate, it will need to be carried by a recovery truck. You are not allowed to drive the car unless you have the number plates.
Dubai RTA does not provide number plates for cars that are being exported within the UAE. However, the transportation cost should not be more than AED500 between two bordering emirates.
So, the next time you plan to sell your car or buy a second-hand vehicle in the UAE, make sure that you take care of the above-mentioned pointers for a safe deal. Strategic planning can never go amiss; in fact, it only helps in making the process seamless and hassle-free.