Health insurance plans are meant to allow you to focus on care and recovery when you have a medical emergency knocking at your door instead of worrying about the cost of treatment.
Health care insurance providers offer different kinds of insurance plans including family health insurance, maternity health insurance, individual health insurance, and others to cater to the requirements of a market that has varying demands. Here we’re going to walk you thorough everything that you need to know about individual health insurance plans. These kinds of plans are meant to provide cover for just one person i.e., the sum assured can be used by the policyholder only.
If you’ve been trying to find an individual health insurance plan for yourself then we’ll help you buy a plan that’s custom-tailored to suit your requirements. Let’s begin with the basics.
What is Individual Health Insurance?
Individual health insurance is a type of insurance that gives you cover against all your medical expenses based on the plan you buy. This kind of insurance is meant for the policyholder only.
Taking an individual plan can also be the best idea for people with old parents. Since the premiums are usually higher for buying health insurance for senior citizens, you can opt for an individual plan for yourself and a senior citizen’s plan separately for your parents to keep your finances balanced.
Top Individual Health Insurance Plans in the UAE
Here are the best individual medical insurance plans in Dubai, UAE:
||Medical Cover (AED)
|Sehteq - Executive
||Upto AED 10,000
|Takaful Emarat - Rhodium
||Upto AED 15,000
|DNIRC - Gold - Plan A
||Upto Medical Cover
|Alliance - Universal Plus Plan
||Upto AED 10,000
|Orient Insurance - Gold - Family Care Plan A
||Upto Medical Cover
|See More Plans >>
Why do You Need Individual Medical Insurance?
Here is a list of a few reasons to make you better understand the need for an individual health plan.
- Full Sum Insured: The number one benefit is that the sum assured is to be used by one person only.
- No-Claim Benefits: Various personal health insurance plans in Dubai offer no-claim benefits. You get this discount when you don’t avail of the sum insured for multiple years. The duration and eligibility criteria for this discount are subject to the terms and conditions of your plan.
- Medical Expenses Coverage: This is another important reason to buy individual health insurance in UAE. Paying from your pocket when you have a medical emergency knocking at your door can add to the harrowing experience that you’re already going through. This plan helps you prepare for unexpected medical expenses. An individual health insurance plan excuses you of the burden of paying medical expenses and lets you focus on more important aspects - your own health and well-being.
- Cashless Hospitalization: Your health insurance plan allows you to opt for cashless hospitalization if your chosen hospital falls under your insurer’s list of network hospitals. This allows you to enjoy all the medical care services without paying for them out of your pocket.
- Lower Premium Options: Various individual health insurance providers let you individuals buy a policy at a lower premium. The best thing about this is that the premiums remain the same as you get older.
What Factors to Consider before Buying an Individual health insurance Plan?
Here is a list of things you must consider before buying an individual health plan in the UAE:
- Claim Time and Process: Various health insurance plans in Dubai have a certain waiting period before they start covering your medical expenses. It is important that you check the waiting period with your selected insurance provider.
Also, make sure you check the claim process for your insurance plan. The claim process must be simple, and quick. Check the claim settlement time and ratio to have a better understanding of the kind of support you are going to get.
- Hospitalization Benefits: Many individual health insurance plans cover pre and post-hospitalization benefits. Try to purchase a plan that covers various medical expenses like, ambulance charges, doctor’s consultation, diagnostic tests, etc. to keep your hospital expenses under check.
- Network of Hospitals: Always check the list of network hospitals before buying a plan to check if it has a hospital of your liking in proximity. If you are treated a hospital that’s outside of your insurance provider’s network list, then you’ll have to pay for the expenses in cash and get the bills reimbursed later. That is why it becomes even more important to keep an eye on network hospitals.
- Maternity Coverage: Make sure you check if your insurer is covering your maternity-related medical expenses under your health insurance plan. Also, do not forget to check the exclusions in the maternity coverage. With a steep rise in costs of maternity hospital bills, you must try to get covered for all the outpatient expenses as well.
- Medical Check-ups Coverage: In some cases, you need to go to a hospital for regular medical check-ups. Some insurance providers offer free medical check-ups. Make sure you find one of that kind and save your money.
Common Individual Health Insurance Plan Inclusions
Here is what your individual health insurance plan includes-
- Doctor’s consultation
- Pre and post hospitalization expenses
- Hospitalization Charges
- Domiciliary Treatment
- Diagnostics and Tests
- Ambulance charges
- Day Care Procedures
- Emergency medical treatments
Common Individual Health Insurance Plan Exclusions
Here is what your individual health insurance plan excludes-
- Cosmetic surgeries
- Vision and hearing aids
- Dental and gums treatment
- Addiction-related treatment
- Alternative Therapies
Who can Buy an Individual Health Insurance Plan in UAE?
The eligibility criteria for getting an individual health insurance plan in UAE is simple. Here are a few things that you need to keep in mind to make sure that you are eligible for buying an individual health plan:
- By UAE law, anyone who is a UAE resident or a UAE national is eligible to have a health insurance plan given the fact that they can produce all the required documents for the identification and verification process.
- Most individual plans require the policyholders to be of 18 years of age or older. However, there can be a few added conditions set by the insurance companies separately which applies to the plans that they offer only.
- Some insurance providers have an upper age limit on individual long-term health insurance plans. So, make sure to read all the terms and conditions properly.
How to Compare Different Individual Health Insurance Plans?
Here is the list of pointers that you can consider while comparing various personal insurance policies based on your needs.
- Find Out your Medical Needs: Ponder over your medical needs and choose a health insurance plan based on them. Make sure the plan you select includes basic medical expenses, like regular check-ups, medical tests, consultation fees, and much more. You can go through insurance providers’ websites and checkout different plans that may fit your needs and budget. If it gets too much then you can simply log on to policybazaar.ae and compare all the plans that are listed in one place for your convenience.
- Go through the Insurer’s Records: Always check the claim settlement rate of different insurers before you chose one and get a plan. The claim settlement ratio describes how the insurer deals with the claims reported.
- Explore the Network Hospitals: Before you choose a plan, you must compare the list of hospitals that fall into different insurer’s networks. Make sure you have your preferred hospital on the list. This will make things a lot easier for you in case of a medical emergency.
- Check How to File a Claim and Renew the Policy: The insurance claim and renewal process is almost the same for all insurance service providers. However, you must compare the time these processes take. The time taken should be reasonable so that you have reasonable time to pay off your medical bills.
- Pick the One that Best-Fit: After you are done with all the comparisons of the plans, compare the individual health insurance quotes and pick the one that best suits your needs. Keep reading to know how you can buy your picked insurance plan.
How to Buy Individual Health Insurance?
Here is a simple 3-step process for buying individual medical insurance in Dubai.
- Contact the Insurer: Visit the insurer’s website or contact their helpline number to find the best policies based on your medical needs. Alternatively, visit policypazaar.ae to compare different plans and chose one that’s best suited to your needs.
- Complete the Paperwork: Once you have chosen the policy, finish the paperwork by providing the required documents to the insurer.
- Make the Payment: You can pay for the chosen plan using your preferred mode of payment.
How to Claim Individual Health Insurance in Dubai?
Here is an easy, 3-step process that you can follow to register an individual healthcare insurance claim:
- Register Your Claim: You need to begin by reporting your claim. Visit your insurer’s website to report a claim. You can also call their helpline number to seek assistance.
- Upload the Required Documents: After reporting a claim, you need to upload the required documents and submit the claim for approval.
- Get the Approval: Once you’re done with the formalities, you can just sit back and wait for claim approval.
How to Renew Your Individual Health Insurance Plan?
Follow these simple steps to renew your individual medical insurance in Dubai.
- Register for Renewal: Visit your insurance service provider’s website or dial their helpline number and register your policy for renewal. Here you need to provide your policy details like the policy number, when it got expired, etc. You can also log on to policybazaar.ae to renew your insurance plan.
- Pay your Premium: Next, make a payment to get your insurance plan renewed. Make sure you get a digitally signed copy for renewal.
- Check the Updates: After making the payment, your policy should get renewed in some time. You can ask your insurer for turnaround time. Alternatively, go to the insurance provider’s online portal to check if your plan has been renewed successfully.
Individual Health Insurance FAQs
Q1. Why do I need an individual health insurance plan?
Ans. A personal medical insurance plan helps you keep yourself safe. It provides you a cover for all your medical expenses and gives you enough financial strength when any medical emergency comes up. If you do not have dependents, an individual plan may be the right choice for you.
Q2. What are the documents required to submit for an individual health insurance plan?
Ans. Here is a list of documents required for an individual health insurance plan.
- Income proof
- Address, Identity, and age proof
- The proposal form
- A few medical tests (applicable in some cases)
O3. Can I switch hospitals during treatment?
Ans. Yes, an individual health insurance plan allows you to switch hospitals.
Q4. How does an individual health insurance plan work?
Ans. An individual insurance plan provides you a fixed sum insured that can be used whenever you avail of medical service. If you chose to get treated at a network hospital you get a cashless facility and you don’t have to pay anything out of your pocket. If the treatment takes place outside of the network hospital, the sum gets reimbursed after filing a claim and submitting bills.