Critical illness health insurance plans provide you medical cover for long-term and serious illnesses that need expensive medical treatment. There are two ways you can get this cover. First, you can buy a standalone critical illness insurance plan. Or, you can get the rider cover for critical illness added to your regular health insurance policy.
The critical illness insurance plan provides medical cover against 36 critical illnesses including but not limited to heart ailments, cancer, stroke, kidney failure, tumour etc.
In this article, we will walk you through everything that you need to know before buying, renewing, and filing claims for a critical illness health insurance plan. We will also cover the benefits of buying this plan for self or for a family member who might need it. So, let’s get started.
Best Critical Illness Insurance Plans in UAE
Here is a comprehensive list of top critical illness insurance plans in Dubai, UAE:
||Medical Cover (AED)
|Orient Insurance - I-Med
||Up to AED 1,500
|Sehteq - Executive
||Up to AED 10,000
|DNIRC - Silver
||Up to Medical Cover
|Watania - Silk Road - Family Care
||Up to Medical Cover
|Takaful Emarat - Silver
||Up to AED 1,500
|See More Plans >>>
Why Buy Health Insurance Plan for Critical Illness?
Here are the major reasons why buying a critical illness insurance plan is important.
- Pay for Advanced Medical Services: A critical illness insurance plan helps you pay for the medical services and treatments that are not covered in your regular health insurance plan.
- Pay for Transportation Expenses: A critical illness insurance plan helps you pay for transportation expenses including wheelchair and lift installation charges for critically ill patients who are not in a position to navigate staircases.
- Pay for daily Living Expenses: A critical illness insurance plan lets you cover daily living expenses and allows you to focus on recovering rather that worrying about payment.
- Pay for Trips to Recover: A critical illness insurance plan allows terminally ill patients to use the funds to move to a restful place to recuperate.
What to Remember before Buying Insurance for Critical Illness?
Here are a few factors to consider before you buy an insurance plan for critical illness.
- Waiting Period: Most critical illness insurance policies come with a specific waiting period. The policyholder can avail of the insurance claim only after the completion of this waiting period. Do not forget to check the duration of this waiting period before you buy a plan.
- The Age Factor: Insurance premium is affected by various parameters, one of them is age. The premium is comparatively higher when you buy a critical illness insurance plan for a senior citizen than when it is for a young adult.
- Renewal Age: Many critical illness insurance plans come with a lifelong renewal policy while others provide coverage for a specified term. Make sure you know the exact age up to which the insured can renew their insurance plan.
- Inclusions and Exclusions: Keep in mind your medical needs and check the inclusions and exclusions of your insurance policy. This will help you get a better understanding of your chosen insurance plan.
How to Compare Various Insurance Plans for Critical Illness?
Here is how you can compare different plans and choose the best insurance plan for critical illness.
- Check What the Plan Includes: Various insurers offer different critical illness cover and benefits. You must know your needs and choose a plan that’s best suited to your needs and budget. You can also log on to a marketplace like policybazaar.ae that has all the critical illness insurance plans, all listed in one place.
- Understand the Plans: You can utilize your critical illness insurance plan for various purposes apart from illness itself. You can utilize it to modify your home and for paying off debts as well. It’s important to see what all is included in your plan to make the best of it.
- Check the Sum Assured: You can either go for a standalone plan or add a rider for enhanced coverage. A standalone plan comes with more benefits and helps you get a higher claim amount but it comes at a higher cost. Make sure you choose the right sum assured based on your medical needs.
What are Some Common Critical Illness Insurance Plan Inclusions?
Here is a list of common Critical Illness Plan inclusions.
- Heart Attack – the first time
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- Cancer up to a specified stage
- Kidney failure
- Aplastic anemia
- Coma of specified severity
- Major organ transplant
- Bone marrow transplant
- Major Burns
- Lung diseases – final stage
- Open Heart replacement
- Permanent paralysis of limbs
- Multiple sclerosis
- Loss of speech
What are the Common Critical Illness Insurance Plan Exclusions?
Here is a list of common Critical Illness Policy exclusions.
- Illness developed due to alcohol, smoking, tobacco, or drug intake
- Illness diagnosed when the waiting period is going on
- Illness developed due to external or internal congenital disorder
- Pregnancy-related conditions
- Cosmetic surgery
- Dental care treatment
- Infertility treatment
- Hormone replacement treatment
What are the Eligibility Criteria for Critical Illness Insurance Plans?
The general rules state that any UAE resident or national is eligible to take a critical illness plan. Here are a few things that you must keep in mind to know more about the eligibility criteria of a critical illness cover:
- The general age group of eligibility is from 18 years to 59 years, plus or minus a few years on either side. This means that anyone eligible for a normal health insurance cover in UAE is also eligible for critical illness covers.
- Mind that not every critical illness will be covered in these plans. There is generally a set of pre-defined illnesses that are covered under a critical illness plan. This pre-defined set may differ as per each insurance provider.
- The illnesses that you are taking a cover for, your age, and any pre-existing conditions also decide the eligibility for the plan. The premium rates can also go higher or lower depending upon these factors.
- Most companies do not offer the same critical illness covers for children and senior citizens (aged 60+). These packages are designed separately and can be opted for if required.
- Insurance companies may have a set of additional eligibility rules and regulations that are applicable on plans offered by the company in question only. Make sure that you have checked them thoroughly before opting for a plan.
How to Buy a Critical Illness Insurance Plan?
Here is a simple, step-by-step procedure for you that will help you in buying a critical illness insurance plan.
- Upload the Documents: You have to provide certain documents to your insurance provider, like - Emirates ID, passport copy, and medical documents as requested by the insurance company. Log on to the insurance provider’s website and fill out all the details asked for. Critical illness insurance plans can be bought from a marketplace as well like policybazaar.ae. The benefit of using this platform is that you get all the plans listed in one place and that makes the comparison easier.
- Submit the Application Form: After submitting the documents, fill out the policy application form and submit it for approval.
- Pay the Premium Amount: Once all your documents are verified and approved, pay the final premium amount to buy the policy.
How to Claim a Critical Illness Insurance Plan?
Here is a simple three-step process to claim critical illness insurance.
- Report the Claim: To file your insurance claim, you need to get in touch with your insurer and report the claim.
- Submit Your Documents: Next, you need to submit the documents including the claim form, ID card, and medical documents asked for.
- Wait for the Approval: Once done, wait for the insurer to verify your documents and approve the claim.
How to Renew a Critical Illness Insurance Plan?
Here is a simple three-step process to renew your critical illness insurance.
- Provide Your Policy Details: Provide your policy details like the policy number; the issue and expiration date, and submit it for renewal.
- Pay Your Premium: Once done, pay your insurance premium to get it renewed.
- Check the Status: You can check the renewal status of your policy on the online portal of your insurance company. Check the status to find out if the policy has been renewed successfully.
Critical Illness Insurance FAQs
Q. What type of health insurance plan covers critical illness?
A. A standalone critical illness insurance plan or a rider critical illness cover in your regular insurance plan covers critical illness.
Q. How does the Critical Illness Insurance Plan work?
A. A critical illness insurance plan is a little different from a regular health insurance plan. It provides a different kind of coverage by including a list of critical illnesses that are not covered in regular health insurance plans. The claim benefits are directly paid to the insured person.
Q. What documents are required to get a Critical Illness Insurance Plan?
A. Here is a list of documents required to get a Critical Illness Insurance Plan.
- Valid Passport Copy
- Emirates ID
- Proof of Employment
- Proof of Address
- Duly-Filled Application Form