Health insurance in the UAE is mandatory irrespective of age and profession. It’s been observed that the cost of medication and the number of visits to the hospital increase as people age.
Keeping that in mind, various health insurance companies in Dubai have come up with excellent health insurance for elderly parents in UAE, aged 60 and above.
In this article, we will help you learn the benefits of having a health insurance plan for a senior citizen.
Top Senior Citizen Health Insurance Plans in the UAE
Here are the best senior citizens medical insurance plans in Dubai, UAE:
||Medical Cover (AED)
|Noor Takaful - Dependent Enhanced 1
||Up to AED 1,500
|Al Sagr - Bronze
||Up to AED 2,000
|Takaful Emarat - Platinium
||Up to AED 10,000
|Orient Insurance - Silver Classic - Family Care Plan A
||Up to Medical Cover
|Adamjee - Gold - Plan A
Up to Medical Cover
|Watania - Green - Family Care Plan A
Up to Medical Cover
|See More Plans >>
Why Buy Medical Insurance for Senior Citizens in Dubai?
Aging can bring with it a host of ailments due to a declining physical state. It’s been observed that people after a certain age are a lot more prone to falling sick and that too frequently. This might strain a family’s financial budget and that’s precisely why it is important to have a senior citizen’s health insurance in place. Various health insurance companies in the UAE offer excellent insurance plans for senior citizens. These health insurance plans cover medical expenses for the policyholders.
Health insurance plans for senior citizens offer medical cover for individuals above 60 years of age. Here is a list of the unique benefits of health insurance for senior citizens.
- Cashless hospitalization
- A higher sum insured
- Daycare expenses
- Cover for diseases like heart attack, stroke
- Cover for pre-existing conditions
- Free-look period of 15 days
- No medical test required
- Yearly medical check-ups
- Cover for pre-existing ailments
- Lifelong renewal option
What to Remember Before Buying Health Insurance Plans for Senior Citizens?
Here is a list of things to keep in mind when buying health insurance for senior citizens.
- Hospitalization Benefits: Make sure you check the in-hospital benefits that different insurance providers offer. The number of hospitals under hospital network coverage may be higher for senior citizens. Do your research and choose an insurance provider that provides maximum benefits.
- Pre-Existing Illness: Pre-existing illness clauses are different for all the insurance plans provided by different health insurance companies. Make sure you check the terms and conditions for pre-existing illnesses if you have any.
- Waiting Period: Before you buy any insurance policy for your parents, make sure to check out the waiting period limit. In some cases, waiting period might restrict your loved ones from getting the risk cover for a certain period. For most health insurance plans in the UAE, the waiting period limit is around 1 to 2 years. Once this time is over, the policyholders become eligible to get covered.
- Co-Payment Clause: Make sure to check the percentage of co-payment in the insurance policy if/when applicable. The percentage of co-payment can be 10% or 20% of the total sum assured, based on terms of policy.
- Sum Assured: The sum assured is usually different for senior citizens when compared to regular health insurance policies. As elderlies are more prone to falling sick, you must get a policy with a higher sum assured.
- The Age Factor: The age of the policyholder makes a huge difference when it comes to choosing the right insurance policy. The premium is usually high when you buy a health insurance policy for senior citizens.
How to Find the Best Health Insurance for Senior Citizens?
Here is how you can compare different plans and choose the best insurance plan for senior citizens.
- Explore the Plans: Before buying an insurance plan for senior citizens, you must go through a list of plans to find the one that best suits your needs. You can simply log on to a marketplace like policybazaar.ae to get a list of all the plans based on your requirements.
- Consider the Medical History: Make sure you keep in mind the medical history of your parents. The pre-existing medical issues impact the amount of your insurance premium.
- Check the Sum Assured: The medical insurance plans for senior citizens usually come with a higher sum assured as they are more prone to falling sick. Make sure you get the best plan that covers everything that you expect from a plan.
- Provide Correct Details: Make sure that your insurance provider has all the correct info be it your personal details or medical records. This comes in handy in case of a claim reimbursement or an emergency.
- Compare and Choose a Plan: Once all other parameters are taken care of, you can simply visit polycybazaar.ae to compare all the plans and select one that’s best suited to your needs.
What are Some Common Senior Citizen Health Insurance Plan Inclusions?
Here is the list of senior citizen health insurance plans inclusions:
- Health check-ups
- Pre and post-hospitalization expenses
- Hospital room expenses
- Medication expenses
- Daycare procedures
- Transportation charges
- Vaccination and inoculations
- Doctor's consultation
- Ambulance Charges
Some Common Senior Citizen Health Insurance Plan Exclusions?
Here is the list of senior citizen health insurance plans exclusions:
- Any non-allopathic treatment
- Drug abuse
- Dental Treatment
- Cost of hearing or vision aids
- Cosmetic surgery
- Treatment for harm or injury caused by self
- Treatment for illness contracted due to war
Who is Eligible to Buy a Senior Citizen Health Insurance Plan?
There are few things that you need to about eligibility criteria for a senior citizen health insurance plan which are explained as follows:
- In most cases, as long as you are 60 years or older, you are eligible to buy any healthcare insurance plan made especially for senior citizens.
- There may be a few insurance companies that set the age limit a little higher or lower as per their personal standards but the lower age limit is generally around the age group of 60-65 years.
- There is no upper age limit in the eligibility criteria of the senior citizen health insurance plans.
- You also need to be a UAE national or resident to opt for the insurance plans. Although some providers also offer the same plans and benefits to non-residents and ex-pats.
How to Buy a Medical Insurance for Senior Citizens?
Here is an easy process to help you buy the best insurance plan for senior citizens.
- Provide the Documents: To buy a health insurance plan, you must submit the required documents including your and your parent’s passport copy, Emirates ID, and medical reports as requested by the insurance company.
- Fill Out the Application Form: Once done, fill out the application form for the policy and submit it for approval.
- Pay the Premium Amount: Once you chose the plan and your documents get approved, pay the final premium amount to get the policy.
How to Claim Health Insurance for Senior Citizens?
Here is an easy process to help you claim the health policy for senior citizens.
- Register the Claim: Go to your insurance provider’s website and file a claim.
- Submit the Documents: To get the claim approved, you need to submit the relevant documents. Upload the documents on the online portal and submit the claim to get approval.
- Wait for the Approval: Once that’s done, wait till you get your medical claim approved.
How to Renew Health Insurance for Senior Citizens?
Follow an easy three-step process to renew the health policy for senior citizens.
- Provide the Policy Details: Provide your policy details and register your policy for renewal.
- Pay Your Premium: Next, you need to pay the premium for your insurance policy to get it renewed.
- Check the Policy Details: Visit your insurer’s online portal and check the status of your policy.
Alternatively, you can log on to policybazaar.ae to renew a senior citizen’s health insurance policy.
Senior Citizen Health Insurance FAQs
Q1. How much does health insurance for a senior citizen cost?
A: If the insured person is above the age of 60 years and has pre-existing conditions, the lowest premium amount for the policy would be around AED 4,500 with a yearly limit of AED 150,000. The cost can vary based on the insured person’s pre-existing medical conditions.
Q2. Can I get health insurance if I am over 65?
A: Yes, individuals above 60 years of age are eligible for senior citizen health insurance policies in the UAE.
Q3. How do Senior Citizen Health Insurance Plans work?
A: The senior citizen health insurance plans are designed for individuals who are 60 years old & above. Most of these plans come with a discounted premium. The health insurance plan covers all medical bills for senior citizens.
Q4. What are the documents required to buy a health insurance policy for senior citizens?
A: Here is the list of documents required to buy a health insurance policy for senior citizens
- Your passport copy
- Your parents’ passport copy
- Emirates ID
- Medical reports (as requested by the insurer)