International travel insurance has been getting its due recognition as a brilliant fallback option when you’re faced with inconveniences during your trips abroad. However, not many people are aware of the importance of domestic travel insurance plans. Traveling within the borders of your own country is not as daunting as going to a new country for your exploration, agreed. However, the role of travel insurance remains the same, considering the uncertain nature and probability of accidents on the go. Whether within the bounds of the UAE or outside them, you, as a traveler are equally likely to encounter an unpleasant situation while traveling. This piece will cover all the important details that you must know to find the best domestic trip insurance plan for your trip.
What is Domestic Travel Insurance?
Essentially, it’s a type of travel insurance plan that covers domestic travels within the country. Domestic travel insurance plans can only be used for trips that are taken within the political and geographical borders of the UAE. Domestic trip insurance plans provide the same kind of coverage that international travel insurance plans do, from medical benefits to trip inconvenience benefits. Similar categories, classifications, and types of travel insurance as that of international travel insurance can be found in domestic trip insurance.
Why Do You Need Domestic Travel Insurance?
- Instant, Quality Medical Coverage: Your domestic travel insurance plan allows you to get treated in the finest medical facilities included in the network from the Emirate you are traveling to. You can easily access healthcare facilities in case of emergency and have the insurance plan cover your expenses. In addition to that, you get the benefits like emergency evacuation and repatriation as and when required.
- Personal liability Cover: Accumulating any kind of personal liability when you are in the middle of a trip can be a huge hassle. A domestic travel insurance plan helps in covering such liabilities towards a third party and reduces the burden several folds.
- Accidental Cover: The concept of time and place is void when it comes to accidents. This uncertain and atrocious nature of accidents is what makes domestic trip insurance even more important when you travel. With the accidental benefit cover, domestic travel insurance ensures that you are safe from any such unannounced inconveniences.
- Peace of Mind: Above all, having a proper travel insurance plan will bring you peace of mind. Whether it is your gadgets you are worried about or the fear of getting hurt when trying an adventure sport, domestic travel insurance has your back.
Types of Domestic Travel Insurance Plans
There can be two basic classifications of domestic travel insurance plans – single-trip and annual multi-trip plans. Both these types can be bought as individual, family or senior citizen travel insurance plans, as per the need of the hour. Let’s learn about them in a bit more detail:
- Single-Trip or Regular Plans: As the name suggests, a single-trip domestic trip insurance plan covers you for just one trip. The plan coverage begins the moment you set out on the trip. A few select covers begin even before the trip does such as trip cancellation benefit. The coverage simply expires when your trip ends. Anyone above 18 years who possesses the required proof of their residency or citizenship can get this domestic travel insurance online or offline.
- Annual Multi-Trip Plans: Designed for frequent travelers, an annual multi-trip domestic travel insurance plan would cover every small and big trip taken within the tenure of the plan. The tenure is typically one year long. The maximum length of each trip taken using the annual multi-trip domestic travel insurance plan is pre-determined by the insurance provider. It can be anything between 90-120 days. Yet again, annual multi-trip travel insurance can be bought for families, individuals as well as senior citizens.
Inclusions of Domestic Travel Insurance
The basic inclusions and benefits of domestic trip insurance can be divided into two parts – trip benefits and medical benefits. Given below is a complete breakdown of the same:
Travel Medical Insurance Benefits
- Emergency medical treatment cover
- Emergency dental cover
- Emergency medical evacuation and repatriation
- Accidental death and repatriation
- Compassionate visit for a family member
- Hospital cost-benefit on per day basis
Trip Inconvenience Benefits
- Baggage loss and delay cover
- Trip curtailment or cancellation cover
- Flight delays and hijacks
- Emergency cash support
- Burglary and theft cover
- Loss of personal items and money
- Personal liability cover
Exclusions of Domestic Travel Insurance
- Adventure sports like skiing, scuba diving, etc.
- Losses and damages attained as a result of war or act of war, invasion, rebellion, etc.
- Non-medical expenses incurred by the insured person
- When traveling for medical reasons or despite beginning advice against traveling by a medical professional
- Medical help is needed for complications arising out of pre-existing health conditions
- Normal pregnancy-related medical support
- Elective surgeries or cosmetic ones
- Damages due to radioactive, explosions, activities, and substance
- Damages, injuries, and illnesses due to substance abuse
- Damages incurred or sustained when driving illegally
- Being involved in an illegal activity
Tips to Buy Cheap Domestic Travel Insurance
- Evaluate Your Needs First: Buying insurance simply by looking at the benefits may not be a smart move. To buy a comprehensive and cheap domestic travel insurance plan, you need to evaluate your needs first and move forward accordingly. Find a plan that matches those needs and offers the same benefits you need. Always buy domestic travel insurance as per your needs and not the overly long list of benefits offered.
- Compare Top Options: Obtain a few quotes and then compare domestic travel insurance plans you have at hand. Find the plan that offers the most benefits at the best price and go with it. It is incredibly important to compare domestic travel insurance plans to find the most cost-effective option.
- Choose Your Insurance Providers Wisely: The insurance provider you pick makes a lot of difference when it comes to buying domestic trip insurance. Keep customer service, plan benefits, claim settlement ratio and customer reviews as your grounds to choose the best providers.
- Buy Your Travel Insurance Separately: Instead of buying bundle deals of domestic travel insurance plans with your flight tickets, choose to find a separate plan. Bundles deals are often profitable but not in this case. The benefits offered in such travel insurance plans are far too less for the price. Always conduct your own research, compare domestic insurance, and then choose a plan accordingly.
Eligibility Criteria to Buy Domestic Travel Insurance
Any UAE resident or citizen older than 18 years of age is eligible to buy a domestic trip insurance plan in the UAE. The upper age limit of buying travel insurance can range between 65-75 years, as per the unique policies of each insurance provider. One must have all the required documents to prove their citizenship or residency when buying travel insurance. This includes a passport, resident’s visa, an emirate’s ID. Plans made for senior citizens can be bought by folks older than 65 years. Again, the upper age limit can differ as per the providers. For children, you can include a child as young as 30 days in a family insurance plan.
How to Buy Domestic Travel Insurance in the UAE
There are two simple ways to buy domestic travel insurance plans in the UAE – online and offline. You can buy your domestic travel insurance online from either a provider website or right here. Simply go to the domestic insurance purchase portal and choose your provider. Obtain a few quotes as per the benefit you need. Compare the quotes and the benefits offered in the plans. Finalize one plan and proceed with the buying formalities. You can also visit the provider's website and buy your domestic travel insurance online. The offline purchasing procedure mainly depends on the brokers and representatives of the insurance company you choose. Visit one of the branches of your insurance providers and apply for the insurance plan you want to buy. You will be assigned an agent who will take care of the insurance process further.
How to Proceed with Domestic Travel Insurance Claims
- In case of trip inconvenience claims: Contact the insurance provider and inform them about the kind of claim you would like to initiate. If it is a checked-in baggage loss or delay claim, provide the required details and fill the claim form to raise an official request. The insurance company will determine the eligibility of the claim and offer compensation. This applies to most travel inconvenience benefits including trip cancellations, curtailment, flight delays and hijack.
- In case of accidental claims: First and foremost, submit a police report regarding the accident. This can include driving accidents, theft, public liability cases, and other similar situations. Inform the insurance company about the accident and gather the required documents including the police report of the accident. Submit an official claim request. The compensation arrives as soon as the claim has been processed.
- In case of medical claims: Most medical claims are direct cashless claims in domestic trip insurance. As soon as you are at the hospital for emergency medical treatment, have one of your travel companions well-informed about the insurance. You or your companions simply need to call the insurance company and inform them about the emergency. They will initiate and approve the direct claim request so that you can get treated.
In a Nutshell
Regardless of the unclear air that surrounds domestic travel insurance plans, they remain to be an important part of your trip planning rituals. The best thing you can do to ensure your safety is to buy good insurance coverage when you are away from home – even if it is simply a different emirate. Uncertainties and accidents can happen unannounced. It is smart to be covered with a good fallback option for as many emergencies as possible. You will potentially save a lot of money as well as face little to no inconvenience when traveling within the UAE.