What Does Travel Medical Insurance Cover?
- Emergency Medical Treatment
- Personal Accident Cover
- Emergency Travel Insurance Medical Evacuation
- Hospital Cash Allowance
- Emergency Dental Treatment
- Repatriation Cover
- Family Compassionate Visit
Emergency Medical Treatment: Apart from pre-existing diseases, travel medical insurance plans cover emergency medical treatment required for any illness. Additionally, travel health insurance covers medical tests, pharmaceuticals, and hospitalisation expenses.
Personal Accident Cover: Available on a plan-by-plan basis, personal accident cover, if included as a benefit in your plan, will offer compensation and coverage for any accidental losses. Adding to that, Personal Accident Cover includes cover for accidental injury treatment as well as compensation for disabilities caused by accidents. In addition, the death benefit is also included in personal accident cover.
Emergency Travel Insurance Medical Evacuation: Emergency travel insurance medical evacuation benefit helps you reach a nearby hospital when you are stuck with a medical emergency in a remote area. Even more, travel insurance medical evacuation benefits can also be used to get to another hospital if the current one fails to provide you with the specific treatment you need. In addition, if your travel health insurance plan allows, the travel insurance medical evacuation cover is also available to be used to get back to the UAE when required as per your medical situation.
Hospital Cash Allowance: The hospital cash allowance benefit of a travel medical plan is similar to that of the hospital cash benefit provided in generic health insurance plans. Having said that, the cash allowance for hospitals can be used to cover your room rent expenses when admitted to a hospital during your trip.
Emergency Dental Treatment: If you encounter any kind of dental emergency during your trip, emergency dental expenses are there to the rescue and can be utilised for the same. However, most emergency dental covers have sub-limits in the form of maximum sum allowed overall or treat each tooth.
Repatriation Cover: Repatriation cover can be used to transfer mortal remains of the policyholder back to the UAE if they happen to meet their demise while on the trip. So, if such a situation arises, repatriation cover can help you with the same.
Family Compassionate Visit: Some travel medical insurance plans also cover the travel expenses of a family member if the policyholder is stuck in a foreign country due to any medical conditions. Generally, only one family member is covered for a compassionate visit.
What Add-On Covers Are Available with Travel Health Insurance?
- Pre-existing Diseases Cover: While all health insurance plans in the UAE cover pre-existing diseases as a primary benefit, travel medical insurance plans do not cover them. However, a separate add-on can be bought for pre-existing diseases coverage. This add-on will make you eligible to get all emergency medical and other healthcare-related services if you require them after falling sick due to a pre-existing disease. In addition, hospital cash benefits and emergency evacuation and repatriation services are also available in the travel medical insurance.
- Flight Delays: Flight delay cover may often be included as a part of the basic benefits of a travel health insurance plan, while you may have to purchase an add-on for this cover other times. Moreover, a flight delay add-on cover provides compensation if your flight has been delayed. However, compensation is provided only if the pre-decided minimum delay time duration has been covered in the delay. This minimum delay duration may vary as per the provider. Generally, it ranges between 4 to 8 hours and 10 hours in some rare cases.
- Lost/Delayed Baggage Cover: Baggage delay or/and baggage delay cover offers you compensation if your checked-in baggage is delayed or misplaced by the airline. Again, a minimum delay duration will also apply with baggage delay duration. In addition, baggage loss cover offers compensation when the airline receives confirmation of baggage loss.
- Personal Liability Cover: A personal liability add-on cover will offer assistance if you happen to incur any kind of accidental third-party liabilities while travelling to a foreign country.