Being a travel enthusiast has its perks and perils. While you get to see the world in its true glory and colors, you have to prepare yourself to stay away from the comfort of your home for long durations. These trips can become a lot bluer if you travel frequently for work. Managing several trips together can be a hassle no one wants to deal with. Making your prep time a bit easier, multi-trip travel insurance plans make sure that insurance is not on this list of things to worry about when preparing for the next trip. A plan designed for frequent travellers, annual multi-trip insurance is just what you need if you travel more than 3 or 4 times a year.
What is Multi-Trip Travel Insurance?
An annual multi-trip travel insurance plan is one of the two main types of travel insurance plans. It is designed to cover multiple trips taken within the tenure of the plan instead of just one. Ideal for people who travel multiple times within a year for work or other purposes, an annual multi-trip travel insurance plan serves as a very cost-effective option for people who travel a lot. Whether it is family that you visit often in a year or travel for work, an annual multi-trip plan can be a good option for you to choose.
How Do Multi-Trip Travel Insurance Plans Work?
A generic single-trip travel insurance plan covers the one trip that you buy it for. The trip dates are mentioned when you buy the insurance plan and the coverage is aligned. The coverage ends when the trip ends. A multi-trip travel insurance plan is the opposite of that. It comes with a fixed tenure of one year like car or health insurance plans. All trips taken within the tenure of the plan are covered by your annual multi-trip insurance. There is a pre-decided limit set on each individual trip you take within the tenure. This limit can change as per the provider and even the plan that you choose. Plans that are more exclusive or comprehensive often offer higher limits on vacation days for individual trips.
Types of Annual Multi-Trip Insurance Plans
- Individual Multi-Trip Insurance: As the name suggests, an individual multi-trip insurance plan is designed to cover only one person. It offers insurance for all the trips you take within the specified tenure.
- Family Multi-Trip Insurance: Allowing you to insure all the family members in one plan, a family multi-trip travel insurance plan covers your entire family for multiple trips taken in a year. Most insurance providers allow you to insure 4 child dependents and 2 adults, you and your spouse, in one plan.
- Business Annual Multi-Trip Insurance: Showcasing a slightly different make, the business annual multi-trip insurance plan is made for corporate trips. Business travel insurance plans may come with a few added benefits like protection for electronics. These benefits are catered to the unique needs of a business trip.
Top Features of Annual Multi-Trip Insurance Plans
- Cost-Effective Travel Insurance: Annual multi-trip insurance plans are one of the most cost-effective travel insurance plans for people who travel a lot. It will cost you significantly less to buy a multi-trip plan for all your trips rather than insuring them separately.
- One Plan for All Trips: since all your trips are covered under a single plan, you do not have to worry about managing different travel insurances every time you take a trip. It also takes away the hassle to buy new travel insurance plans every few weeks or months for frequent trips.
- Flexible Terms: An annual multi-trip travel insurance plan is rather flexible and can be used for trips of different durations and destinations. As long as it is within the limits of the plan, you can plan any kind of trip you like and use the same multi-trip insurance for them.
- Comprehensive Coverage: The coverage offered by annual multi-trip travel insurance plans is quite comprehensive. From emergency medical to baggage and trip-related benefits, everything may need during your travels is covered.
Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance Inclusions
Travel Medical Insurance Benefits
- Emergency medical treatment benefit with emergency dental treatment cover
- Emergency repatriation and medical evacuation
- Accidental death and disability benefit
- Compassionate visit for a family member in case of hospitalization
- Hospital cash benefit on per daily basis
Trip Inconvenience Benefits
- Delay and loss cover for checked-in baggage
- Luggage theft or loss during the trip
- Trip curtailment or cancellation cover
- Flight delays and flight hijack cover also includes threats of hijack
- Emergency financial support
- Burglary and theft cover
- Loss of personal items and money
- Personal liability cover
- Bail bond and legal fee cover
- Trip extension cover
- Loss of travel documents benefit, like passport
- Non-medical emergency evacuation cover
Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance Exclusions
- Adventure sports like scuba diving, skiing, etc., unless covered by an add-on benefit
- Losses due to war or acts of war, invasion, rebellion, etc. Also includes terrorism unless covered by an add-on
- Injuries or illnesses when traveling against the advice of the doctor
- Medical expenses arising for the treatment of pre-existing diseases
- Normal pregnancy-related medical expenses
- Non-emergency medical expenses incurred by the insured person
- Elective or cosmetic surgeries
- Losses incurred as a result of radioactive and explosive substances
- Injuries, damages, and illnesses due to substance abuse
- Damages caused or sustained when driving under the influence
- Damages caused when involved in an illegal activity
- Self-inflicted injuries or suicide attempts
Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance Add-Ons
- Adventure sports cover
- Specific cover for special sports like skiing – includes protection of equipment, trip cancellation and more
- Natural disaster cover
- Terrorism cover
- Cruise extension cover
- Stopover extension cover
- Cancel for any reason cover
- Rental car benefit
Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance Eligibility Criteria
Any UAE resident or citizen older than 18 years and younger than 70 years can generally take annual multi-trip insurance on their name. If you are opting for a family plan, you can add children older than 30 days as dependents in the plan and your spouse apart from yourself. The upper age limit can differ slightly as per the individual policies of each provider. So, keep an eye out for that and make sure that you read all the terms and conditions carefully.
Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance Claim Process
Submitting a claim for your annual multi-trip insurance plan can differ as per the type of claim you are submitting. Emergency medical insurance claims are settled as direct, cashless claims with the hospital. Submit a request when you arrive at one of the network hospitals and inform your insurance provider. The hospital will get the approval and settle the bill as per the assured sum of the benefit.
Reimbursement claims can be filed when you return from the trip. Simply contact the insurance provider about the claim. Obtain a reimbursement claim form from the provider. Fill out the form and attach the required documents with it. Submit the form via offline or online channels, whichever suits you the best. Given below is the list of basic documents you may need:
- The police report of any stolen items, luggage, accidents, personal liability or similar situation
- Receipts, bills, doctor’s reports, and other related documents for medical reimbursement claims
- Baggage tags, correspondence records, and irregularity reports for lost or delayed baggage claims
- Copy of old passport (if possible) police report and expense receipt for a new passport for lost passport claims
- Original tickets, correspondence records, termination letters, and other documents required by the insurance company for trip cancellation claims
- Summons, legal notice, witness record, and record of the incident for personal liability claims
- Death certificate, police report, and post mortem report for accidental death claims
Things to Look Out for When Choosing Your Travel Insurance
- Destination: Check whether the destinations you will visit is covered by the travel insurance plan you are about to buy. Also, check which destinations require mandatory travel insurance and whether yours fulfil all the requirements stated in the mandate.
- Number of People to Insure: If you are a solo traveler, it is best to go with individual annual multi-trip travel insurance. However, if it is family you are going to travel with, consider choosing a family multi-trip travel insurance. Always compare the two types and find which one is more affordable and then choose.
- Nature of the Trip: Choose between personal and business annual multi-trip travel insurance as per the nature of the trip. Business travel insurance plans may cover a few additional important things for business trips like electronic devices, the replacement for a sick team member etc.
- Duration of the Trip: Check the allowed duration of a single trip in the annual multi-trip travel insurance plan you choose. Every trip you take within an annual plan has a pre-specified limit of allowed days. This limit may differ as per the provider so make sure that you pre-check this fact and see if it aligns with your needs.
- Cost-Effectiveness of the Plan: Everything aside, you must make sure that the premium you pay for your annual multi-trip insurance plan is justified by the benefits you get. Compare different plans and make sure to get the most cost-effective option for your trips.
- Claim Settlement Ratio: Check the claim settlement ratio of the provider before you buy the plan. Make sure that the claim process is simple enough and easy for you. Get familiar with the actions you need to take as per the situation and the emergency numbers to keep with you at all times.
- Authenticity: Last but not the least, make sure you only buy from authentic sources. Go through customer reviews and take advice from financial experts to figure out the best possible provider for you. Make safe transactions using secure, trusted platforms.
Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance FAQs
Q1. What is the maximum number of vacation days allotted for one trip in a multi-trip travel insurance plan?
Ans. The number of vacation days per trip depends on the provider and the comprehensiveness of the plan. It can range anywhere from 45 days to 180 days depending on what your plan limits are.
Q2. Can I buy a multi-trip travel insurance plan for my family?
Ans. Yes, you can easily buy a multi-trip insurance plan for your family. Most providers let 2 adults and 4 children dependents be insured in the same plan as a family. While others may increase this limit to 10 members as well.
Q3. Is there a variant of multi-trip travel insurance for work trips?
Ans. Yes, annual multi-trip travel insurance plans can be bought as business travel insurance plans as well.
Q4. Can you carry forward vacation days in a multi-trip travel insurance plan?
Ans. There is no need to carry forwards your vacation days in a multi-trip travel insurance plan. You simply utilize the benefits of the plan for every trip you have taken within the 1-year tenure.
Q5. Can I extend my trip when using a multi-trip travel insurance plan?
Ans. Yes, as long as your single trip length does not cross the pre-specified limit of the plan, you can easily extend the trip without trouble.
Q6. How to find the best multi-trip travel insurance in the UAE?
Ans. Comparing different options available at your disposal is the right way to find the best multi-trip travel insurance in the UAE. You can also visit Policybazaar UAE and browse through the top insurance providers of the country we partner up with.
Q7. How can I renew my annual multi-trip insurance in the UAE?
Ans. You can renew your multi-trip insurance online in the UAE. Use the renewal portal of your provider or your aggregator to renew the plan in a matter of minutes.
Q8. Can I cancel my annual multi-trip insurance with a refund halfway through the tenure?
Ans. Yes, you can easily cancel your annual multi-trip insurance. Most providers also offer a refund on a pro-rata basis. Make sure you confirm this with your provider beforehand.
Q9. Are multiple destinations covered in a multi-trip travel insurance plan?
Ans. Yes, your annual multi-trip insurance can cover multiple destinations you visit in multiple or single trips. Just inform the provider in advance and see if there is an additional step you need to take to unlock this benefit.