Buying a Car Insurance in Dubai – Step-by-Step Guide
In a city like Dubai where commuting through public transports takes so much time, owning a car there is not a luxury anymore; it is a necessity. But, before driving through the most advanced roads in the world, there are certain things that should be in your mind. One of those many things is buying car insurance policy in Dubai. Whether it is a brand new car or a second hand, as per the laws and norms in the UAE, every vehicle owner is legally required to get his/her car insured with a trusted insurance company before registering it with the Road and Transport Authority (RTA) of the country.
With a plethora of options, you might find it difficult to pick the best car insurance. Many of you may end up with buying the cheapest car insurance policy in Dubai and that too without going through the terms and conditions. However, this can go wrong. Buying car insurance policy in Dubai requires deep and analytical thinking. To help you out, here we have put together a few basic steps that you should follow to buy the best insurance policy for your vehicle. Check it out!
Comprehensive Car Insurance or Third-Party Liability Insurance, Choose One
Start by deciding the type of car insurance that you will buy. Car insurance policies can be divided into two major categories - Comprehensive Car Insurance and Third-Party Liability Insurance.
Comprehensive car insurance provides covers against the damages caused to third party vehicles along with the damage done to your own car. This kind of insurance cover may also include other potential damages caused due to theft, fire and collision.
Unlike comprehensive car insurance cover, third-party liability insurance do not covers damage caused to your own vehicle. It covers only those damages that are caused by your vehicle to other people’s vehicle. However, it covers death or bodily injury to any third party in the UAE. It is the minimum level of coverage mandatory under the law in the UAE.
Your choice will depend on your requirements and your risk capacity.
Collect Multiple Quotes
Once you have decided the type of insurance you want to buy, the next thing is to do is to get quotes. Get in touch with various car insurance companies, to have different quotes. It will allow you to compare different policies.
You may also ask for a discount on your new policy if you haven’t met any accident in recent times. For this, you may need to show your no claim certificate to the new insurance company.
Compare Your Quotes
The third step to follow while buying car insurance policy in Dubai is to compare different quotes. While comparing different options, look at the inclusions and exclusions of the policy carefully. Some of the options may seem you pocket-friendly but, they may not cover all the aspects such as driving outside the UAE, theft etc. so, pick the policy that makes the most sense to you.
Pick Suitable Add-ons
- In general, add-ons in insurance policies are associated with a high premium. Therefore, choose only those add-ons that make sense to you. Some of the common add-ons that are useful are:
- Roadside assistance cover – this cover offers mechanical repairs, battery boost, vehicle towing, flat tires, lockout and emergency fuel delivery
- Cover for Agency/dealership repairs – This add-on covers those repairs which are different from “garage” repairs. It includes mechanical repairs from an authorized dealer’s workshop.
- Personal injury protection (PIP) – It covers the medical costs involved in the treatment of the injuries to the driver and passengers of the insured car.
- Personal Accidental death cover – It cover the death or serious bodily injury to the driver.
- Accidental death cover for passengers– It cover the death or serious bodily injury to the passengers in the vehicles.
Arrange your documents
After deciding the car insurance you want to purchase, the last thing to do is to arrange the documents. Make sure that you have all the required documents including driving licence, passport, residence visa, etc.
Now you know all the about how to buy car insurance in Dubai. It’s time to get your car insured and get ready to drive through the iconic Sheikh Zayed Road.