Proclaimed by Sheikh Khalifa as the ‘Year of Tolerance’ 2019 is off to a monumental start and strongly pointing towards a prosperous UAE in the months to come. Motorists will be rewarded for safe driving in the form of up to 100% reduction on the existing traffic fines. The move comes as a much welcome announcement. With effect from Feb 2019, the motorists can clear all pre-existing fines. If applicable, they can avail No Claims Discounts for their car insurance in UAE.
The Year of Tolerance encapsulates the values of togetherness, diversity and national pride, with the aim of pushing UAE to the frontlines of international leadership. Before we get into the details of the 100% traffic fines exemption and its implications on the car insurance, let’s quickly take a look at the incredible start of the year 2019 in the UAE.
2019- The Year of Tolerance
In continuation of last year’s theme, i.e. the ‘Year of Zayed’, 2019 is aimed at further advancing the legacy of UAE’s founding father– Sheikh Zayed. In addition to the generosity that UAE has recently shown its citizens (in terms of illegal immigrant amnesty); the Year of Tolerance continues to get better in terms of promoting forgiveness and unity.
A Brief Timeline of 2019 So Far
- The Ghaf tree was set as the logo for 2019’s Year of Tolerance. The Ghaf is UAE’s national tree and promotes nationalist pride, heritage and the perseverance of life under a unified front.
- Pope Francis made a historic visit to Abu Dhabi, marked as the first time a pope has ever visited the In line with the principles of the Year of Tolerance, the visit marks an open-minded meeting of different faiths.
- Aiming to enhance road safety, car insurance in UAE is mandated by the law. Taking one more step in the direction, Dubai Police announced the applauding 100% waiver on all existing traffic fines for motorists who practice safe driving etiquette.
Dubai’s Traffic Fine Exemptions
Mandated car insurance in Dubai and the availability of no claims discount on car insurance has helped mould the streets of UAE into a highly efficient and safe zone. When motorists practice safe driving, they are less likely to file car insurance claims. When they don’t file car insurance claims, the insurance provider rewards them with No Claims Discount.
This latest announcement by the Dubai Police, under the guidance of Sheikh Mohammad bin Rashid Al Maktoum (Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE), has further motivated motorists to drive safely.
The details are as follows:
- The policy came into effect from Feb 1st, 2019.
- All previous traffic fines are eligible for exemption under the following:
- The policy is applicable to private vehicles only. It is not applicable for commercial and rental vehicles.
- The policy is applicable for full-time residents of Dubai. Vehicle owners, who have lived outside Dubai for more than 3 months since the traffic violation occurred, may not avail of the discount.
- Much like No Claims Discount for motor insurance in Dubai, the exemption is divided into various categories.
The exemptions are divided into four categories as follows:
- 25% Exemption - Motorists who will display safe driving etiquette (i.e. no traffic violations) for 3 months will be eligible for a 25% discount on all existing fines.
- 50% Exemption - Motorists who will have a safe driving record of 6 months will be eligible for a 50% discount on all existing fines.
- 75% Exemption - Motorists who will have no traffic violations for 9 months will be eligible for a 50% discount on all existing fines.
- 100% Exemption - Motorists who will manage to avoid any traffic violations for an entire year can avail a total 100% discount on existing traffic fines. Dubai residents with a year of safe driving will attract a lower insurance premium for car insurance in Dubai.
Motives & Implications
The idea behind such a move is fairly transparent. The Dubai Police endeavours to promote the safety and welfare of all residents. As a result, they want to promote the culture of safe driving in the UAE. The traffic fine exemption policy is in alignment with the theme- Year of Tolerance.
So what does this mean for Dubai residents and policyholders of car insurance in Dubai?
Firstly, the tax exemption policy is a strong driving force for positive change on the streets of Dubai. It promotes self-awareness amongst the citizens and reduces the risk of on-road accidents. Furthermore, residents can expect to see a year of lowered premiums for car insurance in Dubai.
Over to You
Finally, based on the success of the exemption policy in Dubai, we may eventually witness its extension to other emirates across the UAE. Until then, drive safe.